Hello! I just found this forum, and I added it to my growing bookmarked sites for HHO!
So, I have a questions about the use of stainless steel on these hho generators. I understand that stainless seems to hold up for longer periods of time in the production of hho, but stainless is a horrible conductor.
Is everyone using SS because it is a relatively cheap metal compared to other better conductors like platinum or silver? What if i get some copper tubing and plate them with silver?
In theory, would we be producing more hho in a test scenario if we used copper, (or gold)?

Views: 15

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Interesting thought about silver-plated copper, but silver might oxidize rapidly on the anode (oxygen-producing) electrode. Only way to find out is to try it. Gold is a great conductor, but $900+ per ounce puts it well out of my budget! I've heard that carbon dirties the water badly, but graphite might work. Easy to test with a couple of pencils. A forum-member tried lead, which didn't produce any gas at all.
I wonded about lead(as in old battiers are cheap) everyone I talked to has tryed something diff and always comes back to ss, platinum would be better but i dont have much of it in stores around here. You can use this setup to plate some copper and see how it works. but check what you are going to run in your gen , I run lye and its nasty to most things.
I have been able to "recruit" a few people, at my company, who are very interested in this project. Each with their own questions and input (ie, why SS, when we could try dipping copper tubes in silver...). Hopefully with their past job experience and education (engineers, mechanical designers, mechanics and welders) we can come up with a few hho generator system ideas.
We are going to be testing the stanley mayer, water 4 gas ss wire design, and the ss stacked washer model and see what we achieve. I'd like to try the ss plate (light switch plates?) idea also.
I guess the key is to design something that produces the most amount of gas, for the least amount of current. We want to keep our amps down as low as possible.
Our test car will most likely be my wifes' 1996 vw Golf. It's fuel injected, so we'd need to figure out a map sensor (EFIE?)
Thats what I been doing, trying differnt types and a few of mine own.water4gas wire in a jar just to small for what Im looking for. Smack from plates run to many amps for me. swicth plates a cheaper way to go but you have to put up with rust.Stanley Mayers done some good work, but I like simple and low cost. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Meyer. Series is key to low amps
I have tried steel, brass, aluminum, carbon, and copper. all create gas for a limited time. Stainless is the only thing I have that has held up so far. Carbon fiber is something I would like to try if I find some. Lead is my next test. I'll let you know.
Be careful with lead see this link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead_poisoning
I use 316l cuz it low carbon Hmmmmmmmm
Fatman has gone to read up more on things.
Ryan got me thinking again LOL
Platinum would would pretty good, but I couldn't even afford it for my wedding ring ( I went tungsten carbide instead). I've also hear nickle is really good as well. But it is also very expensive.

I would hate to spend so crazy amounts of money just to find out it corrodes after 3 months of use.

Any metal you know of that corrodes a bit, will corrode VERY quickly in a hho generator.

-Peter
Visit Aquauto.com, add your vehicle / electrolyzer to our database.
I just recieved a quote for 6"X12" 316L SS plates. YEIIIIKKKKKSSSSSS:

$18.75 per plate!!
Sounds cheap to me. I've seen much worse.
I dont want to figure mine. I picked up a hand full of 316L and left a $163.00 check LOL
Paul, with the exception of the Stanly Meyer method (assuming you can figure out exactly what he did...you'd be the first) all of those systems you mentioned are not very efficient and are high amp models.

If you want to keep it low amps and high output there is nothing better than a true series generator as Fatman stated. There is another really active thread where several of us are brainstorming various series cell designs. There are photos of my series model, which is a prototype for our production models we are working on, and Gary has put together a fantastic DIY version using an old car battery for a case. Many other concepts and ideas being discussed. I highly recommend putting your attention to the series method, it will save you time and money that will be wasted on those other styles.

Oh, as far as the metal question. You are welcome to try some exotic metals or compounds but everyone eventually comes back to stainless, it just works well and holds up to the extremely harsh environment in these generators. Your success with metals other than SS will also depend on your electrolyte mixture choice, NaOH, KOH, Baking Soda, etc. They each have varying compatibility specs to consider.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Translate HODINFO

Fuel Savers Radio Podcast

Latest Activity

Profile IconHydrogen Cars and Vehicles Blog
8 hours ago
Peter Kiproff replied to Jeremy Dukes's discussion 'A new Idea in gas generation.'
22 hours ago
Profile IconHydrogen Cars and Vehicles Blog
yesterday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Martin Moore commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
yesterday
Profile IconHydrogen Fuel News » Hydrogen Fuel Cell
yesterday
gabet123 posted videos
yesterday
gabet123 commented on gabet123's video
yesterday
Zip commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
yesterday
Profile IconZip, James Butch Coger and 4 other members joined gabet123's group
yesterday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Howard Phillips commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
Monday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Howard Phillips commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
Monday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Jeremy Dukes posted photos
Monday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Jeremy Dukes posted a photo
Monday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Jeremy Dukes replied to Jeremy Dukes's discussion 'A new Idea in gas generation.'
Monday
eric keogh commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
Monday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Martin Moore commented on gabet123's group 'CC-HOD RESEARCH GROUP'
Monday
gabet123 posted groups
Monday
Peter Kiproff replied to Jeremy Dukes's discussion 'A new Idea in gas generation.'
Saturday

HODINFO SPONSOR
Jeremy Dukes replied to Jeremy Dukes's discussion 'A new Idea in gas generation.'
Saturday
Barry Holzsweig replied to Suneel Jituri's discussion 'Gas production help (Dry cell 7 plates configuration)'
Friday

© 2014   Created by gabet123.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Chat