Can anyone that knows give pro and con information on useing pure titainium as one can get to use as plates in a cell ? (pure titainium is easyer to machine than alloys espeshially if it has aluminum in it ,,,springy,,,) thanks joesflashdog

Views: 248

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Pure titanium poses a fire hazard when exposed to pure oxygen. As long as the oxide layer on the outside of the titanium is preserved, this should be no problem. Other than that and being not a good conductor, it looks like a good idea. Let me know if you give this a try. I would be very interested in how much heat the plates alone would produce.
Titanium only receives current, it does not pass current. No HHO generation happens if both cathode and anode are titanium.
John said:
Titanium only receives current, it does not pass current. No HHO generation happens if both cathode and anode are titanium.

This could have an interesting capacitance and current limiting design potentials for use with Stan's type of cell setup. Just layer the titanium with a better conductive material like copper.
well, you do get some interesting things happening with titanium electrodes when you up the volts a bit ... but its not a panacea ... no earth shattering reveleation here ... it just acts a lot different when you hit it with about 9000v or so at about 30ma ... about a 1/2 inch gap between anode/cathode ... distilled water only ... the interesting thing is that there is a reaction at all ... there should not be anything going on at all ...

but in conventional electrolysis, stick with 316L stainless steel and save yourself a lot of aggravation ... its the least expensive thing we have found that works reasonably well ... never have aluminum, copper, zinc or nickel anywhere near the reaction ... though titanium clad copper sheet has some interesting properties ...
SmartScarecrow said:
well, you do get some interesting things happening with titanium electrodes when you up the volts a bit ... but its not a panacea ... no earth shattering reveleation here ... it just acts a lot different when you hit it with about 9000v or so at about 30ma ... about a 1/2 inch gap between anode/cathode ... distilled water only ... the interesting thing is that there is a reaction at all ... there should not be anything going on at all ... but in conventional electrolysis, stick with 316L stainless steel and save yourself a lot of aggravation ... its the least expensive thing we have found that works reasonably well ... never have aluminum, copper, zinc or nickel anywhere near the reaction ... though titanium clad copper sheet has some interesting properties ...
I was thinking along the lines of titanium clad copper sheets. Have you experimented with these? I was thinking they would work great for regulating current in a high voltage cell a`la Stan Meyer's cell.
How could one cover a copper sheet with titanium ? exposion welding ? plate it ? a hho generator was sold on ebay,the builder said the cathode was titanium,anode ss,it would only work thaty way he said, I don't know, I'm new at this hho stuff,got some good parts so far but still planning, got 21 3x5 304ss 9 of them perforated ,,mabee a 6 or 7 cell in separate spaces, mabee a tankless cell but curiose about the titanium,neet stuff,, thanks joe
joesflasahdog said:
How could one cover a copper sheet with titanium ? exposion welding ? plate it ? a hho generator was sold on ebay,the builder said the cathode was titanium,anode ss,it would only work thaty way he said, I don't know, I'm new at this hho stuff,got some good parts so far but still planning, got 21 3x5 304ss 9 of them perforated ,,mabee a 6 or 7 cell in separate spaces, mabee a tankless cell but curiose about the titanium,neet stuff,, thanks joe

I was just thinking of getting some sheets cold forge rolled. Take 2 sheets of titanium and put a sheet of copper between them that is slightly smaller. Roll through a flat roller press then use an edge roller to seal the titanium around the copper.
James Morehead said:
joesflasahdog said:

I was just thinking of getting some sheets cold forge rolled. Take 2 sheets of titanium and put a sheet of copper between them that is slightly smaller. Roll through a flat roller press then use an edge roller to seal the titanium around the copper.

there is titanium clad copper commercially available ... it is typically used as a high voltage buss material in power stations ... I managed to get a small quantity of the material as scrap ... it was very thick, about 1/8 inch or so ... the piece I got was 6 inch wide by 6 foot long ... I cut it down and made a series box cell out of it ... used paint on epdm to seal the exposed edges where I had made my cuts ... you do not ever want to expose copper to the reaction ... makes a big mess ...

the biggest advantage to such exotic materials is in the construction of HUGE devices ... with stainless steel, when you get much beyond a 8" x 8" plate size, you have trouble getting the electricity applied evenly to the entire surface ... when I do 12" x 12" devices, I have to make connections on my powered plates at all four corners to get them to work right ... but when you got a copper core material to use as your conductor, all bets are off ... I can see a picture in my mind of a device with plate 4 feet square working like a charm because of the superior conductivity of the copper ... in the small devices that most experimenters are dealing with, I cannot imagine any material giving better bang for the buck than 316L stainless steel ...
Ha! I love ya dawg! When we were experimenting with the monster plates, it was one of the ideas I had, inputting at multiple points on the plates, but we got the results we needed and cancelled out and went back to regular dry cell builds.

flyingdoc said:
John Sensenig said:
John Sensenig said:
hi guys if you are saying we need another plate of different material ...what if we use platium coated titanium for the other plate and what about the neturals?

Reply to Discussion

RSS

*** Translate HODINFO ***

© 2018   Created by gabet123.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Chat