Does any one have a better electrolyte than Sodium Hydroxide (lye)?

Views: 704

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Haven't looked into that, but we are trying to get away from any dangerous chemicals. I would not like the liability of a customer getting injured.

Christer Dirfeldt said:
Why not use battery acid? Will not attack aluminum and you can get it for free from used car batteries.
The only way I can think of to get away of much electrolyte is to make the cells more inefficcient, requiring less electrolyte to get some amps through.

And then is that freezing ability of plain water...

I have a suggestion for an electrolyte scrubber: Using aluminim wool from a filter for kitchen extractor, filling it up in a container with gas inlet in the bottom and outlet in the top. The small particles og KOH from the gas will condense on the wool and react with the alumunim to create extra H2 gas. Pergaps even combine the scrubber with a flash-arrestor, Two-in-one?

What you think about that? The wool will be needed to be replaced, but that is cheaper than bying a new TB..
For people lucky enough to use low amperage settings, the amount of NaOH can go as low as 0.1 to 0.8%, which will draw 3 to 5 amperes, depending on the cell design. The danger of parts corrosion is substantially lessened. A bubbler may not even be necessary.
The only problem then is freezing of the water.

Isn't there something, except alcohol and salt, that can be used to mix in the water to prevent freezing to -15 -20 Celsius?

Sugar???
Ok. This is from wikipedia:

First sulfuric acid, batteryacid, H2SO4:

"Sulfuric acid reacts with most metals via a single displacement reaction to produce hydrogen gas and the metal sulfate. Dilute H2SO4 attacks iron, aluminium, zinc, manganese, magnesium and nickel, but reactions with tin and copper require the acid to be hot and concentrated. Lead and tungsten, however, are resistant to sulfuric acid. The reaction with iron shown below is typical for most of these metals, but the reaction with tin produces sulfur dioxide rather than hydrogen."

And then for sodium hydroxide, NaOH:

"Strong bases attack aluminium. Sodium hydroxide reacts with aluminium and water to release hydrogen gas. The aluminium takes the oxygen atom from sodium hydroxide(NaOH), which in turn takes the oxygen atom from the water, and releases the two hydrogen atoms. In this reaction, sodium hydroxide acts as an active catalyst. This reaction can be useful in etching, removing anodizing, or converting a polished surface to a satin-like finish, but without further passivation such as anodizing or alodining the surface may become degraded, either under normal use or in severe atmospheric conditions."

So at first look, batteryacid seems to be more violent than lye, but not all facts is on the table, even not in wikipedia. A test is needed to be done to see if batteryacid is worse to aluminum and iron than lye.
Ok. I just started a test with sugar :-)

I took a small amount of sugar in a plastic cup, and used just as much of hot water to get it all solved, not more.

I have put it in our freezer, -18 celsius, and I will check tomorrow if it's still a liquid.

If it works, it could be a nice and cheap solution to prevent freezing in weak electrolytes, and perhaps in the same time prevent Hex.Chromium.

It might react in certain ways in electrolysis, but there is only one way to find it out...
Who knows it might work...and I hope it does.

If it doesn't, then the low electrolyte option can be used from spring to autumn, and then high concentrations can be used during winter, coupled with a PWM. At least the problem is 75% solved.
Ok. Sugarwater in - 18 celcius freezes. But I think that it can go down to -10 at least. It dissolves to liquid quite fast in roomtemp now.
1. Sugar did not lower the freezing point more than to -3 celcius.

2. Do not use batteryacid in addition to distilled vinegar. It actually eats SS steel in electrolysis! When I dissasembled Sky's old cell, the top of the plates was a bit "wavy"

battrey water will ruin ur dry cell...cell plates turn black and engine sensors in air filter and in take get damaged...my petrol ford developed starting problem also... dont ever try...this...in my case it was an accident...my driver was told to fill it up with battrey DM water..but he was given battrey acid water by the shop person...which ended in this results...bye sanjay patel from mumbai...www.fuelfromwater.in..

Lye and citric acid together

I tested baking soda but fact is its Less Conductive in water & when the HHO cell heats 80*+up you get some CO2 gas w/Hho so safe NOT the best ,I'll be retrying NaOH(lye) with my prototype hhoA cell !!!!!

SAFETY FIRST!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

*** Translate HODINFO ***

© 2018   Created by gabet123.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Chat