thought you guys might like this!

www.sepuplhs.org/high/hydrogen/electrolysis_sim.html

Views: 125

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

very cool david

David, I think this is a good way  to never understand what happen in that cell! :-)

Who make that impressive animation totally ignore the water ionization. 

And the flow of electrons is wrong as well or the poles are wrong ..

Is simple as that: ANODE is the pole where electrons ENTER in a polarized device.

The battery cathode become the cell anode.

Electrons have the - negative sign.

Water will "send" all its H+  ( positive charged )

Is a movement, separation,  of protons ( since are not electrons I call proto-lysis) to that pole in order to balance the - negative electric charges present there. 

H3O+ Hydronium will be acumulated to that pole - the anode.

OH - Hydroxil will be accumulated to other pole - the cathode.

K+ is the carrier of the - negative charges and play a important role.

Thank you for your valuable master work.

In experiments or looking for more bang out of electrolysis gases. "Animations says Potassium plays no part in electrolysis"... I agree that is true , but it does increase the gases volatility.  I do keep trying to spread the word on Potassium Bicarbonate having the best bang for volume of gas so far. I guess maybe I should try a mixture KHCO3 and KOH? 

Todd, is the K who play the important role astept charge carrier. Carbon is not required for electrolysis process. Any enhancement come it water is deprotonated. Is what partially K do. Second anode will enhance the effect. The animation is incomplete and can' t serve astept source of inspiration for design of efficient electrolysis cell.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

*** Translate HODINFO ***

© 2018   Created by gabet123.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Chat