HODINFO is a collaborative think tank/ open science initiative. We are an International group comprised of inventors, scientist, mechanics, tinkerers, fabricators, and out of the box thinkers. Our mission is to find innovative solutions to the problems that primarily limit the production and delivery of H2. As the world starts using hydrogen it becomes clear that immense infrastructure initiatives will be required to make it happen. If adequate solutions can be found to support Hydrogen-On-Demand (HOD) systems then the world can remove great and costly limitations on future applications. The future is not just Hydrogen, it's Hydrogen-on-Demand.

More info can be found on the Ace cell here.

If you are doing Ace cell research please post here.

Views: 569

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Now for those of you who are part time nerds and want to integrate more systems control into your ACE cells then I'm working on an Arduino based H-Bridge driver. It will allow you to easily program the timings.

In the programme below... Arduino pins 11 & 12 become the input s for the H Bridge schematic I posted above... Actually you could also use it to drive the H-Bridge module detailed in the ACE2 Driver PDF document above. The downside is that you will have to know how to use an Arduino PLC.

I can help with the Arduino stuff a bit but time is always against me.

It is still early days yet but is it perfectly feasible to add temperature control, water level control and a variety of other features.

The basic Arduino sketch looks like this...

int Input1 = 12; // connect this pin to Input1 on MOSFET H-Bridge driver

int Input2 = 11; // connect this pin to Input2 on MOSFET H-Bridge driver

void setup() {              

pinMode(Input1, OUTPUT);

pinMode(Input2, OUTPUT);

void loop() {

{digitalWrite(Input1, HIGH);

digitalWrite(Input1, LOW);

digitalWrite(Input2, HIGH);

digitalWrite(Input2, LOW);

Some people worry about “shoot through” with MOSFET H-Bridges. Using N and P channel devices on the high and low sides of the bridge design eliminates this of course… it is just not possible unless of course a device were to go “short circuit”. But if you are concerned then the 0.01 second delay in the program allows to ensure that one side of the bridge is turned off before the other side turns on and therefore guarantees that shoot-through will not occur.

That is the core of the Arduino 5 second switching programme. Timing can be adjusted by editing the “delay(5000);” bits as timing is by 0.001 seconds on the Arduino as a default.

After this.. well it is just the case of initialising the appropriate sensors to interrupt the routine as required. No reason why water level cannot be automatically monitored and regulated.

By the way… I just compiled it and it runs OK.

Just been thinking about this circuit... it is interesting and robust but the Arduino 43 Amp H-Bridge is far better value for money.

Martin Moore said:

While I am here...

How about another circuit for power switching a Howard Phillips ACE Cell.

It can be driven from the same astable multivibrator Howard specifies in his paper or the LM358 module detailed in my ACE2 Driver PDF document.

I make no claims as to the circuit... I found the basic schematic which had some fundamental layout errors, corrected them and then changed some values to suite our purpose.

D1, D2, D3, D4 = IN4004 diodes

Z1. Z2, Z3, Z4 = 10 volt 5 watt Zener diodes  

Top two MOSFETS are IRF5210 – P Channel 100V @ 40Amp

Bottom two MOSFETS are IRF1310N – N Channel 100V @ 40Amp

It can be driven using a basic astable multivibrator at Input1 and Input2

Using solid state switching around Hydrogen systems makes obvious sense... contact arcing may be a problem should a leak occur. Solid state switching also has no mechanical wear and tear like relay contacts will have and so should work for much longer duty cycles.

H-Bridge driver module... more information.

If you are considering using the 43 Amp H-Bridge module from Ebay then you could be very kind to it and unscrew the heatsink from the board and apply a couple of dabs of non electrical conducting heat transfer compound (like the stuff used between a CPU and heatsink on a computer).

There are many makes but I'd advise you to go for the best you can afford as it really moves a lot more heat from the bridge drivers to the heatsink.

A better view of the H-Bridge schematic.

D1, D2, D3, D4 = IN4004 diodes

Z1. Z2, Z3, Z4 = 10 volt 5 watt Zener diodes  

Top two MOSFETS are IRF5210 – P Channel 100V @ 40Amp

Bottom two MOSFETS are IRF1310N – N Channel 100V @ 40Amp

A friend and I (using resources of Lookingforheat.com) put the schematic version of the H-Bridge together as a professional PCB. It is not too often that a design moves from the idea and design stage, through prototyping and onto actual production. We were quite proud of our little bit of kit.

There are of course simpler versions to use. 

Here is a more basic circuit for 12 volt operation only. I only ever made this one on breadboard before moving onto the more sophisticated design detailed earlier.

Again... I claim no rights etc as these schematics can be found easily on the Internet. They are just begging to  be tried with our cell designs.

Just feed LSP6 and LSP5 from a two transistor Astable multivibrator so as one side is driven HIGH the other side is driven LOW and you will be good to go.

Your ACE cell would connect to LSP1 and LSP2

By using P Channel MOSFETS on the high side and N channel MOSFETS on the low side it should be impossible for the device to short through the supply line. As mentioned before, if you are concerned about the likelihood of shoot-through occurring you can drive it with something like an Arduino PLC in order to introduce a null period between the channels switching.

Pleas note that this is for 12v operation only.

The two transistor circuit in Howard’s original schematic would drive this perfectly well or of course the square wave module detailed in my ACE2 Driver PDF posted earlier using the LM358 module.

Or drive it with an Arduino.

It would be a good idea to mount the MOSFETS on a heat sink. Q1 and Q3 on one common heat sink and Q2 and Q4 on another as the Drains are connected together via the transistor tabs.

I've also posted the details of the MOSFETs.

As you can see from the scopeshot above, Martin's method does produce a clean square wave with a very easily adjustable mark/space ratio and can produce frequencies between 1-2 Hz. and at least 1000 Hz. Simple and inexpensive. 

Nice one Alan. Well done.

BTW, I have a few more of the H-Bridge printed circuit boards that Martin mentions (and pictures) above. If anybody would like one to build then email me at  lubetkin1934 (AT) yahoo.co.uk.

Thanks Martin for the info, exactly what I need to finish the cell project.

Sorry to pollute this thread... But could you, savvy ones, offer any insight about the possibility of building a PWM using an Arduino with a H bridge ?

I have a PWM with my HHO cell but am not happy with it...

Reply to Discussion

*** Translate HODINFO ***

Latest Activity

Calvin Reynolds updated their profile
Calvin Reynolds is now a member of HODINFO
Felix Audet posted a discussion
Mar 11
charles ware posted a discussion
Mar 10
Glenn P DeRosa shared Stuart Kinley's group on Facebook
Mar 9
Felix Audet posted a discussion
Mar 3
Felix Audet replied to Felix Audet's discussion 'HV + DC electrolysis'
Feb 24
Felix Audet replied to Felix Audet's discussion 'HV + DC electrolysis'
Feb 18
David Brightman posted a status
"Currently getting set to build an ACE2 type cell.I could not find any cast iron pipe here so I found some cast iron sash weights I will"
Feb 6
David Brightman favorited gabet123's discussion Howard Phillips Ace Cell
Feb 5
Macel is now a member of HODINFO
Feb 4
Barry Holzsweig replied to Joseph Tasso's discussion 'HHO sensor?'
Feb 2
broandrew replied to Joseph Tasso's discussion 'HHO sensor?'
Feb 2
Mickey Hudson is now a member of HODINFO
Feb 2
moldoveanu.marius left a comment for gabet123
Jan 31
moldoveanu.marius posted a status
"Engine and exhaust circuit cleaning by atomized water based additives solution"
Jan 31

© 2018   Created by gabet123.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service

Live Chat