A few days ago I completed my first drycell. 15 plates made from switchplates flattened. It works well.
Today I completed my 21 plate, made again from switchplates and I am pleasantly surprized at the results. 13.6 volts/18 amps/131F after a one hour run. I tablespoon KOH in 2 qts of distilled water in a remote tank. Its producing 1 Lpm on the nose. End plates are 1/2" clear acrylic. The plates are not completely green as I took them from my first two smack wet cells. Just sanded and cleaned them up.
A little trick I discovered when pushing the plates down to start the bolts. I used a block of wood and set the unit on my drill press table. Lowering the chuck against the wood block gave me a nice even push to mash the plates together.
Had it not been for this group of guys on this site I never would have learned much. Thanks